Quote

A beautiful word or thought that is not accompanied by corresponding acts is like a bright flower that bears no fruit. It would not produce any effect. ~The Buddha

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Snow

Snow is everywhere.  Lots of snow.  And I mean lots.  While that isn't a big deal for many areas in the country,  in Southeastern Connecticut it's not that common.  I have always touted the mild winters here. So the fact that we got 14" of the white flakes yesterday, is surprising.  The second notable issue about the storm is that the weather people got it right.  We have been warned countless times before about an impending storm that somehow manages to fall apart the minute school is canceled.   

But yesterday, everything fell into place, and we got the snow.  Officially, I've had enough.  While my winter mantra has always been, "everyday is a day closer to spring," this is one year when I really mean it.  

Of course, there are some nice parts, like the stillness after a good old fashioned snow storm.  I stood outside yesterday, just enjoying the quiet.  Until after a few minutes, there was the familiar sound of a plow not too far away.  Momentarily, that was nice.  And yes, the snow is pretty to look at  in the trees, and the way it glistened in the sunshine today did make for a gorgeous picture.  I even noticed that people seemed upbeat today.  They were probably happy to be out from under all the snow, to have power or just to be out of the house.  

Then I fell, and there it is, the downside.  I was heading to my car, and I didn't notice the ice under the packed down snow in the parking lot, and I went down hard.  My lower back and right shoulder will be feeling this fall for days despite the Aleve.  The upside is my Starbucks coffee was not lost in the fall, because somehow I managed to keep it balanced and upright.  That must have been quite a sight. 

So there you have it, there's a lot of winter still to come, and I've officially had enough.       

No comments:

Post a Comment